Login

History Summary

1889
The establishment of a Free Church in the Hill District of Inverness was proposed. It was agreed to set up a preaching station with the hope that it would become a regular charge.

1897
The foundation stone was laid for a church to seat 800 and a hall to seat 400 with the name "The Crown Church". In November completion of Hall Buildings comprising a hall with a pulpit platform on its west wall and a vaulted ceiling and the Session Room to the rear of the platform.

1898
Permission was given by the Free Church General Assembly for the formation of a Church Extension Charge, and a grant awarded to allow the calling of a minister.

1899
On the 19th September the first minister, the Rev William Todd was inducted.

1900
The union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterian Church took place and the congregation agreed to enter the United Free Church. In November The Memorial Stone for the church was laid.

Nov 1901
The church building was completed but without the spire included in the drawings. It was considered that the additional cost of £1000 to add the spire was too great.

1914
Electricity was installed in the church by the North of Scotland Light and Power Company at a cost of £66.

1915
About 80 men from the 4th Reserve Camerons were billeted in the halls for the remainder of the First World War.

1917
Crown congregation temporarily united with the Wesleyan Methodist Church because the then minister of Crown, Mr MacGilp had been appointed by the Minister of Food to be Assistant Commissioner for Northern Scotland.

1923
A three-manual organ was purchased from Taymouth Castle to replace the original organ.

1924
The silver jubilee was celebrated with a week- long programme including a social evening and children's parties.

1929
On the union of the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland, the congregation voted to join the Church of Scotland.

1942-1946
The church halls again used for billeting soldiers. The then minister, Mr Grieve spent six years as a forces chaplain and the congregation joined with St. Stephen's congregation for joint Kirk Session meetings and for worship.

1949
Crown Church celebrated its golden jubilee with worship and a congregational social.

1958
The organ was overhauled and the chancel area refurbished and enlarged. The rose window previously obscured by the organ pipes was cleared, the chancel area carpeted and fixed choir stalls constructed.

1964
The hall accommodation was extended with the addition of an upper hall, a new kitchen and toilets. The Session Room was remodelled to provide a second Small Hall and a kitchen. The project was financed by donations from the congregation.

1981
A further extension to the halls was made by adding a new wing providing the current lounge for small meetings and prayers and the church office.

1987
It was decided to replace the Taymouth Castle organ with an electronic organ manufactured by Messrs Makin. The fixed choir stalls were replaced with chairs and new carpets provided for the chancel and aisles.

1996
A church office was built at the manse at 39 Southside Road, in an extension including a study for the minister.  The office has since been moved back to the church buildings.

2001
The downstairs kitchen and toilets were replaced.  There is now better disabled access to both the church and lower halls.